Monday, February 4, 2008

Mr. Crawford

I loved coming over to your house in high school.  Your dad was always seemed to be awaiting my arrival and would open the door and yell out my name before I got to the front step.  He always greeted me with the greatest hug and would tell me how great I was and would lead me into the family room and just talk to me.  Thinking about it now, brings the biggest smile to my face.  I remember my senior year of Lacrosse.  He was, of course, at every game.  He loved nothing more than watching you play Camie and was your greatest fan.  I remember that I didn't have the greatest season and didn't play much at all that year.  I remember always being sad after a game where I hadn't played much at all.  Your Dad always greeted me with the biggest smile and hug and would tell me how stupid the coaches were for not having played me.  He would make some funny joke. and suddenly I was laughing and no longer upset about the game.  He did it every time and I always appreciated him trying to make me feel better.  It always worked.  He was always so aware of those who were down or sad in any way and knew the perfect solution to brighten their day.  He brightened so many of mine.  I miss him.  I am so grateful for the time that I was able to spend with him; it was always a treat.  I left his memorial service with a greater desire to be a little kinder, a little happier, and it made me want to try to always see the good in every situation.  Your Dad's life and legacy made me want to be better in every way.  What a fabulous man and what a wonderful example he has been to us all.  He meant so much to so many people and we are all better for having known him.  

No comments: